Organic Spelt & Apple Cookies
You must think I am cookie mad and to a degree, you're right. They are great fun to bake with children - measuring and mixing ingredients, is great for their learning and development. My daughter loved peeling and grating the apples, albeit in a rustic fashion. Also, picking apples from the tree is another great activity for children to get involved in.
So, here is another one for the cookie collection - organic spelt and apple cookies, a great one to bake with your children this weekend.
Organic Spelt and Apple Cookies Recipes
135g organic unsalted butter 50g golden caster sugar 50g light brown sugar 1 large organic egg 1/2 tsp vanilla extract 190g Organic wholegrain spelt flour 1/2 tsp mixed spice or cinnamon 1/2 bicarbonate of soda 3 Apples
1. Preheat the oven to 170c/ 150c fan/ gas mark 3 If needed, prep your baking tins. I would advise investing in a non stick baking tray. Alternatively, you can line a tray with greaseproof paper.
2. Have all ingredients out at room temperature and measure everything with your little helpers. Save grating the apples until you need them later.
3. Using an electric hand whisk, cream together the butter and both types of sugar. Add the egg and vanilla and mix well on a medium speed. Sift together the flour, cinnamon or mixed spice and bicarb. Mix together with the creamed ingredients in two batches. Continue to mix until a dough forms.
4. Peel and grate the apples (in any fashion that the children choose) and then get them to help squeeze the juice out of the apples (you don't need the liquid) place 100g of the apples in to the cookie dough and mix together.
5. Get your ice cream scoop and let the children scoop out balls of cookie dough and arrange them on the baking sheet (6 cookies to a sheet)
6. Place the cookies on the middle shelf of your oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the apple cookies are light golden brown. Leave on the baking trays for 10 minutes after baking and then transfer to a cooling rack.
Want to order cookies from Moo Moo Cakes? Put in your order today